5 Tips for Managing Mental Health in the Summer
Summer is here and with it amazing weather, more time with friends, and more time for fun. Oh, did we mention mental health issues can actually get worse in the summer for a lot of people? Maybe due to the increased pressure people feel to make the most of summer or have a picture perfect instagram account... Summer can be tough for people struggling with their mental health.
Here are 5 tips for managing your mental health in the summer months:
- Practice creatively meeting your needs. This is easier said than done. A very simple example: maybe you need to drink more water but you hate drinking water. So you pack flavoured sparkling water instead.
- Try to practice Self-Compassion. This means resting when you need rest and pushing yourself when you need to be pushed. Self-compassion means actually caring for yourself and trying to meet your unique set of needs. So if it's a super nice day and you really need to rest- rest!
- Try to hang out with a variety of people, for the right amount of social time for you. Ideally you can spend time with people who understand what it's like to have mental health struggles so you don't feel alone.
- Animals help. Hang out with your pets. Don't have pets? Volunteer to pet cats. Walk dogs. At the very least- subscribe to the best dogs or cats of instagram.
- Get more support. Summer can be tough for many reasons so reach out to supportive people in your life (or we're here too).
We hope these tips helped validate that Summer isn't always amazing. It's ok to have down time and take good care of yourself- even if that means staying in sometimes.