Why we believe the best counselling is “trauma informed”.
Many of the clients we see at Peak Resilience have had difficult life experiences that can be described as traumatic. We believe the best counselling is “trauma informed”, and we’ve linked to a great article explaining what this means in fairly simple terms.
Please visit “What is Trauma Informed Psychotherapy” if you’d like to learn more. Here is a very brief summary of what trauma-informed care entails:
- Safety (feeling safe in a counselling session and building safe coping tools outside of counselling)
- Trustworthiness and Transparency (our counsellors are open in their communication and will build trust with you over time)
- Peer Support (helping you to create safety in your own relationships)
- Collaboration and mutuality (the counsellor works with you to help you discover your own strengths)
- Empowerment, Voice and Choice (you are in charge of your care)
- Embracing understanding of cultural, historical and gender domains (mental health issues don’t happen in a vacuum- often they are caused by societal factors and different forms of oppression)
The counsellors at Peak Resilience are passionate about providing the best trauma-informed care for all of our clients. This means constantly upgrading our knowledge with professional development, engaging in consultation and supervision regularly, and doing our own mental/emotional work.
If you’re interested in booking a consultation to discuss who might be the right counsellor for you, please click here. Thanks for reading!
(Photo by Markus Spiske)